This a very simple dal curry with only a few ingredients and it goes well with chapathis as well as rice along with raita. My elder daughter is a fan of dal recipes and this is one of her favourites.
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- crushed chilly flakes – 2 tspn
- Small onion sliced – 6 nos
- Curry leaves – 1 spring.
- Coconut oil – 1 tbspn.
- Salt as required
- Wash the toor dal and cook it in a pressure cooker adding one and a half to two cups of water.
- Add salt after the dal has cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the sliced pearl onions and curry leaves. When the onions have become golden brown, add the redchilly fakes ,mix well and take care not to burn the chilly flakes. Pour this seasoning over the cooked dal.
While cooking dal in pressure cooker, keep the flame high until first whistle and then in medium low till the second whistle and then switch off. Open the cooker when all the pressure has released.