This curry includes blend of spices which makes it taste equally good as any non-veg curry. This is a preparation of potato curry, which I learned from my mother in-law.
- Potato – 2 medium sized.
- Onion – 1 roughly cut into cubes
- Tomato- 1 cut into cubes
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tspn (crushed in a mortar and pestle )
- Green chillies – 2 slit
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Cocont oil – 2 tspn
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Coriander powder – 1 tbspn
- Chilly powder – 1 1/2 tspn
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tspn
- Salt as required.
- Water – 3 cups
To roast and grind
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves – 4-5 leaves
- Oil – 1 tspn
- Shallots (kunjulli) – 5 sliced
- Garlic – 3-4 sliced (optional)
- Curry leaves – 5 -6
- Oil – 1 tbspn
- Dry roast coriander powder in a pan until its raw smell is gone ,switch off the flame and add red chilly powder,garam masala powder.
- Take a clay pot and add to it potatoes, onion, tomatao, green chillies, ginger-garlic paste, curry leaves, salt, turmeric powder and the above dry roasted coriander powder, chilly powder and garam masala.
- Add a tspn of oil and give a nice mix with your hands. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Add water and keep on high flame till it starts boiling.
- Then reduce the heat to medium low. Cover with lid and cook until the potatoes are 75 percent done.
- Take a pan and add 2 tspn oil. If you are adding fennel seeds, add now. followed by freshly grated coconut and curry leaves. Keep on medium low flame. Keep on mixing with a spatula so that all coconut is roasted equally. Switch off when the coconut has become golden brown in colour.
- Grind the mixture to a smooth paste and add it to the potato gravy.
- Turn to high flame until the gravy starts boiling and then reduce to medium low, cover and cook for 10- 15 minutes.
- Switch off the flame, when the gravy has reached the required consitency.
- For seasoning, heat a small kadai, add oil followed by shallots, garlic and curry leaves. When the shallots and garlic have browned, pour it over the potato curry. You can sprinkle 1/2 a tspn of garam masala finally.Cover with lid and keep for a few minutes.