- Pork Belly – 1/2 kg cut into 1 inch thick cubes
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Salt as required
- Vinegar – 1 tspn
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tspn
- water – 1/2 cup
- Potato or Raw Plantain – 250 grams cut into cubes.
- Onion – 2 sliced
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tspn
- Green chilly – 2 slit
- Coriander powder – 1 heaped tspn
- Chilly powder – 1 tspn
- Pepper powder – 1 tspn
- Garama masala – 1/2 tspn
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tspn
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tspn
- Curry leaves – 2 springs
- Oil – 1 tblspn
- Combine the pork pieces with ingredients numbered 1 to 6 in a pressure cooker an cook for 4 -5 whistles. Check whether pork is soft and cooked well. If not cook again for 1-2 whistles. (I used frozen pork belly, the cooking time depends on the tenderness of the meat, so cook accordingly)
- Take a heavy bottomed kadai and add oil. Splutter mustard seeds, followed by fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the slit green chillies , saute fore half a minute and then add sliced onions.
- When onions turn transparent add ginger garlic paste and continue sauteing until onions turn golden brown and oil starts leaving from them. At this stage add the spice powders numbered 11 – 14. Saute for a minute until the masalas are roasted well.
- Add pork pieces along with the water in which it is cooked along with potato(or raw plantain whichever you are using). Cook on a low flame until the potatoes are cooked and the water content has gone . At this stage fat from the pork pieces comes out. Roast it well till it turns dry.
- If there is excess fat after cooking pork, then drain out the water in which pork was cooked. Instead of that, add hot water to the gravy for cooking the potato/raw plantain pieces
Recipe Courtesy : Deepa Jaimon