Years back my mother prepared this at home for the very first time, when we bought a microwave oven at my home. We used to call this “Nankatta”..Recently only, I found out that the real name is Nankhatai and it is a famous North Indian cookie. We, keralites call this cookie by the name “Nankatta”.This is a very easy to make cookie and a sure hit for newbies.
- All purpose flour/Maida – 1 cup
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom – 3 (powder it along with sugar)
- Bicarbonate of soda – 1/2 tspn
- Chopped nuts for decoration
- Preheat oven to 170 degree Celsius
- Melt Ghee in a pan. Wait till it reaches room temperature.
- Swift together maida and soda through a sieve.
- Add powdered sugar to the ghee and mix well.
- Add flour little by little and mix with your fingers to make a dough. The dough should have a consistency of chapathi dough. Rest the dough for half an hour.
- Roll in to small cookie shaped balls. Place the chopped nuts on the top of each cookie and press gently.
- Place the cookies in a baking tray and bake at 170 degree Celsius for 20-23 minutes till the bottom of the cookies turn slightly golden.
Recipe courtesy: here