This is a creamy delicious fish curry. A good combination with dosa, appam and rice. An authentic kerala style cuisine and the addition of cashew paste makes it more creamy.. A must try.
- Cleaned Mackerel – 2 Medium sized
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tspn
- Ginger – 1 1/2 tblspn chopped
- Small Onion – 10 -15 sliced
- Green chilly – 4-5 slit
- Onion – 1 medium chopped fine
- Tomato – 1 medium cut into big slices
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tspn
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 1/2 tblspn
- Kudam puli – 4-5 wedges soaked in water
- Thick coconut milk – 3/4 cup
- Thin coconut milk – 2 1/2 cup
- Cashew paste – a handful of cashews made into a paste.
- Coconut oil – 2 tblspn
- Curry leaves – 2 springs
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan or a wide clay pot. Add oil.
- When oil is hot, splutter fenugreek seeds.
- Nice aroma fills the air, then add chopped ginger. Saute until the raw smell goes.
- Add small onions and green chilly, saute for 2 minutes. Next add chopped onion and curry leaves.
- When the onion starts turning golden brown,lower the flame and add turmeric powder and chilly powder. Saute until the powders are roasted..Take care not to burn.
- Add thin coconut milk, kudampuli pieces and salt. Bring to a boil .
- Add fish pieces and keep on a medium flame , close the pan with a lid.
- Cook until the fish pieces are cooked well.
- Mix together cashew paste and thick coconut milk. Add it to the curry and add finally add tomato slices. Garnish with fresh curry leaves. Switch off the flame and close with lid to lock the flavours. Open after 2 minutes and transfer to a serving bowl.