This is a spicy sardine curry you can enjoy with nadan kappa/tapioca or rice. Easy to prepare and very tasty.
- Sardines – 1/2 kg
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn + 1/4 tspn
- Pepper powder 1 tspn
- Salt as required
- Lime juice – 1 tspn
- Shallots – 1 cup
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tspn
- Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Tomato – 1
- Tamarind – 1 Gooseberry sized soaked in water
- Chilly powder – 2 tspn
- Coconut oil – 2 tblspn
- Marinate the fish pieces with turmeric powder, pepper powder lime juice and salt, keep aside for half an hour.
- Shallow fry the fish pieces adding a little oil. If the sardines are fatty one, oil is not required, but be very careful when frying without oil.
- In a clay pot or kadai, add oil. When the oil is hot, splutter mustard seeds followed by fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Now add ginger garlic paste. When the raw smell is gone(it will take about half a minute), add shallot pieces and saute.
- When shallots start turning golden brown,simmer the flame and add turmeric powder and chilly powder. Saute until oil starts seperating.
- Add Tomato pieces, salt and saute for 2 -3 minutes.
- Next add tamarind extract and allow it to boil. Add 1 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. When the gravy reaches your required consistency, add the fried sardine pieces and cook covered on a low flame for 10 minutes.
Recipe Courtesy : taste time