Olan is a side dish of kerala sadya and is prepared with ash guard (kumbalanga)and red gram/rose moong dal(vanpayar). Here, I am using only ash guard which makes it a plain, simple side dish and a suitable accompaniment with a spicy masala non-veg curry.
- Ash guard(Kumbalanga) – 250 gms
- Green chillies – 2-3 chopped
- Thin coconut milk – 1 cup
- Thick coconut milk -1/2 cup
- Salt as required.
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Coconut oil – 1 tblspn
- Boil the ash guard pieces with green chillies, salt,4-5 curry leaves and a little water(water will ooze out from ash guard while boiling)
- Once the ash guard pieces are almost cooked, add the thin coconut milk and boil until the gravy attains the required consistency.
- Finally add thick coconut milk and stir, switch off before boiling, otherwise it will curdle. Add Curry leaves and drizzle coconut oil on top. Close with lid and keep aside for 5 minutes.