- Basmati rice – 3 cups
- Cinnamon stick – 1 1/2 inch
- Whole pepper – 15 nos
- Bay leaves – 3
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 8-10
- Cumin – 3 tspn
- Ghee – 3 tblspn
- Water – 4 1/2 cups
- Salt as required
- Soak the basmati rice in water for 20 mins and drain
- Take a heay bottomed vessel, preferrably non-stick biriyani pot.
- Add ghee. Next add the whole spices, cinnamon,cardamom,cloves,bay leaves and whole pepper corns. Next add cumin seeds.
- Cumin gives out a nice aroma when cooked in ghee. Next add the drained basmati rice and mix for two minutes.
- Add the measured quantity of hot water with enough salt. Cover and cook for 10 – 15 mins on a medium low flame until it is done.(Here, I took 1 1/2 cup water for 1 cup rice. Some other varieties may require half cup more water, add accordingly)
- Fluff it with a fork and transfer it to a thermo container to stay hot or serve immediately. We had it with chicken curry and raita.
Recipe courtesy: vazhayila