- Spinach/ Nadan cheera Red or green – 2 bunches chopped(here, a bunch contains almost 10 stems)
- Onion – 1 medium sized(chopped) or shallots – 10 nos(sliced)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Green chillies – 2 -3 slit
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Dry red chillies – 2 nos
- Curry leaves – 1 spring.
- Salt as required
- Oil – 1 tblspn
- Heat oil in a pan,splutter mustard seeds followed by dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Now add chopped onion and green chillies. Saute until the onions are transparent.
- Next add spinach along with salt and turmeric powder.
- When all the water content has evaporated and spinach is finely cooked add grated coconut and mix for a minute. Switch off. Nadan cheera thoran is ready!
- Take care while adding salt as spinach will reduce to half the volume after cooking.
- When cutting green chilly either slit it or cut in big pieces as kids might confuse them with chopped spinach stems.